Purpose of this Guide

This shopping guide is intended to help you find the most additive-free versions of the ingredients and products required for the recipes on this website. There are many recommendations for additional self-study included within this guide, as well, for those who would like to research certain topics in more depth.

 

With the exception of fruits and vegetables, shopping tips are included in this guide for every ingredient used in my recipes. My advice for selecting fresh fruits and vegetables is to give preference to certified organic or local varieties; and avoid “genetically-modified organisms” (GMOs) whenever possible. When selecting store-bought canned or frozen produce, also check the ingredients label and select brands that contain only vegetables or fruit and, possibly, sea salt.

 

This guide is not an exhaustive list of every food additive that you may encounter. If you see an ingredient on a food label that is not discussed in this guide and you don’t fully understand what the word means, I recommend leaving that product on your grocer’s shelf! As a general rule, if you cannot easily identify every ingredient on a label as having come directly from a plant or an animal in nature, then we do not recommend you purchase the product.

 

I adhere strictly to an additive-free diet 100% of the time because I experience acute physiological reactions to many food additives. The degree to which you implement this advice is up to you. I’m including all of the information you need to eat as “strictly” as I do. However, depending upon your lifestyle and the foods to which you have access, your choices may be more limited. Do the best you can, and implement this guidance to the degree that suits you best! Many families find it useful to adopt an “80/20 Rule.” They adhere to an additive-free diet 80% of the time, and they allow themselves flexibility with the other 20% of their diet for social events, special occasions, traveling, etc.


The guidelines here are not intended to represent the absolute healthiest diet possible. Rather, they will help you reduce the amount of health-depleting chemical additives in your diet. For example, some recipes on our site use white flour, and there are tips in the shopping guide below to help you select the most additive-free white flour available at the grocery store. Is additive-free white flour a health food? Absolutely not. But if you are going to eat white flour products on occasion, you’re much better off making homemade versions of those items (e.g., Alfredo sauce, sugar cookies) than ingesting the commercial, additive-filled packaged varieties you’d find at the store!

 

.

Members save 50% on this book!

  

Our "Eating Additive-Free" book teaches you everything you need to know to start shopping for and preparing natural, additive-free foods!

CLICK HERE for details! 

Latest Activity

Joe Kay replied to Joe Kay's discussion 'A new member's story' in the group Health Testimonials from Completely Nourished members!
Apr 18
Christy Pooschke (founder) replied to Joe Kay's discussion 'A new member's story' in the group Health Testimonials from Completely Nourished members!
Apr 17
Jody Ricker is now a member of Completely Nourished
Apr 12
Connie Lynn liked Christy Pooschke (founder)'s photo
Apr 7
Connie Lynn updated their profile
Apr 7
Connie Lynn is now a member of Completely Nourished
Apr 7
Joe Kay added a discussion to the group Health Testimonials from Completely Nourished members!
Apr 7
Joe Kay joined Christy Pooschke (founder)'s group
Apr 7
A photo by Christy Pooschke (founder) was featured
Feb 8
Jocelynne is now a member of Completely Nourished
Feb 6
Christy Pooschke (founder) replied to Christy Pooschke (founder)'s discussion 'Are you REALLY moving toward your dreams?'
Jan 14
Christy Pooschke (founder) replied to Roberta E Robbins's discussion 'Additive and Addictive'
Jan 14
Roberta E Robbins replied to Roberta E Robbins's discussion 'Additive and Addictive'
Jan 9
Roberta E Robbins replied to Christy Pooschke (founder)'s discussion 'Are you REALLY moving toward your dreams?'
Jan 9
Roberta E Robbins posted a status
"2017... here I am still feeling much better after choosing to eat REAL FOOD for the past 2 years."
Jan 9
Lisa Pavlatos is now a member of Completely Nourished
Jan 5
Christy Pooschke (founder) liked Roberta E Robbins's blog post The End of Summer 2016
Oct 29, 2016
TracyJayne Gardner is now a member of Completely Nourished
Oct 18, 2016
Maria Velez is now a member of Completely Nourished
Sep 16, 2016
Roberta E Robbins posted a discussion
Aug 31, 2016

Real Food for beginners!

© 2017   Created by Christy Pooschke (founder).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service