This is yummy enough to drink on it's own!! Mmmmmm!!!
NOTE: You will need a large crock pot and a VERY finely-meshed strainer for this recipe.
- Whole chicken (raw) or a chicken carcass leftover from roasted chicken
- Raw chicken neck and organs, if available
- Couple of carrots, unpeeled and with tops is fine (cut in large
- Tops from one bunch of celery (no need to cut up)
- Onion or two, unpeeled and cut in half
- 1 head of garlic, unpeeled, but cut in half so all cloves are “open”
- 2 TBSP Bragg brand apple cider vinegar (this is said to pull calcium from the bones into your broth!!) - - optional
- 3 TBSP dried Italian Seasoning (I use Frontier brand; it contains: oregano, marjoram, thyme,
basil, rosemary and sage)
- 1 heaping TBSP sea salt
- 1/2 TBSP or so freshly ground pepper or whole peppercorns
- Water (about 3 quarts)
Place all ingredients in large crock pot.
Add water last, filling crock pot to the top rim.
Cover and cook on low for 8-12 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
Allow to cool a bit.
Remove meat (if using) and use for whatever you’d like (or save for chicken noodle soup!). I usually place my strainer over a large stock pot and then pour the crock pot contents through. Then I use a spoon to smash the strainer contents a few times to squeeze out every bit of juice into my stock pot.
Use immediately or allow to cool and freeze for later use.
When freezing, I recommend freezing it in small portions or whatever portions you know you’ll need for the recipes you intend to eventually make with it.
**All seasonings, veggies and amounts of everything are VERY flexible. You can’t really mess this up. Substitute as you please!!